Mummified Candy Corn Cake
3 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tbsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plus 2 tbsp whole milk
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/4 cups sugar
5 large egg whites
2 1/2 tsps yellow gel food coloring
1/4 tsp red gel food coloring
(2) 16-oz. cans vanilla frosting
2.5 oz. large marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 3 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottoms with parchment; mist again with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Combine milk and vanilla in a measuring cup. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Reduce speed to low and alternate adding flour and milk mixtures to butter (begin and end with flour), until just combined. In a clean medium bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, fold egg whites into batter in 3 additions.
- Divide batter in 3 medium bowls (2 cups each). Add 1 1/2 tsp. yellow coloring to 1 bowl; stir. Add red coloring and 1 tsp. yellow coloring to second bowl; stir. Leave third bowl white. Spread batter into pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove to rack to cool completely.
- Level tops of cake layers with a serrated knife, if necessary. Dab small amount of frosting in center of cake stand and top with orange layer. Spread 1 cup frosting on top; add yellow layer and align sides. Spread 1 cup frosting over yellow layer, then top with white layer and align. Spread remaining frosting around sides, then over top. Smooth with a knife or spatula.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave marshmallows on high for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth and just warm to the touch. Pull off a piece about the size of 1 marshmallow and stretch between thumb and forefinger of both hands until thin. Drape strand over and around cake. Repeat until you reach desired “mummy” effect. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Tip: Rub butter on your fingers to keep the marshmallow from sticking to your hands.
Spooky Witches’ Fingers
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup whole almonds
(1) .75 oz. tube red decorating gel
- Combine the butter, sugar, egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Beat together with an electric mixer; gradually add the flour, baking powder, and salt, continually beating; refrigerate 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Remove dough from refrigerator in small amounts. Scoop 1 heaping teaspoon at a time onto a piece of waxed paper. Use the waxed paper to roll the dough into a thin finger-shaped cookie. Press one almond into one end of each cookie to give the appearance of a long fingernail. Squeeze cookie near the tip and again near the center of each to give the impression of knuckles. You can also cut into the dough with a sharp knife at the same points to help give a more finger-like appearance. Arrange the shaped cookies on the baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cookies are slightly golden in color, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the almond from the end of each cookie; squeeze a small amount of red decorating gel into the cavity; replace the almond to cause the gel to ooze out around the tip of the cookie.
Tip: Make these treats extra spooky by adding green food coloring to the batter.
Caramelized Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
5 tbsps white sugar
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 pinch cayenne, or to taste
2 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds, washed & dried
2 tsps salt, or to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, stir together 3 tablespoons of sugar, the cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne pepper, and set aside.
- Place the pumpkin seeds on the prepared baking sheet, spray them with cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt to taste. Bake the seeds until lightly golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, and stir in the toasted pumpkin seeds along with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Cook and stir the seeds until the sugar forms a coating on the seeds, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir the caramelized seeds into the bowl of sugar-spice mixture, toss to coat, and let cool.
Tip: Up the spice factor by coating the seeds in Sriracha before baking.