Caramel Apple Pork Chops
- 4 (3/4 inch thick) pork chops
- 1 teaspooon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 175°. Place a medium dish in the oven to warm.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush chops lightly with oil and place in hot pan. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, or until done. Transfer to the warm dish and keep warm in the preheated oven.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add butter to skillet and stir in brown sugar mixture and apples. Cover and cook until apples are just tender. Remove apples with a slotted spoon and arrange on top of the chops. Keep warm in the preheated oven. Continue cooking sauce uncovered in skillet, until thickened slightly. Spoon sauce over apples and chops.
Fragrant Autumn Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1//8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 Idaho potatoes, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (19 oz.) can Cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound ground beef or turkey
- Cook ground beef or turkey in large saucepan over medium-high heat until browned. Remove from pan and set aside, drain fat drippings. Heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir in bay leaves, paprika, pepper and cinnamon.
- Mix in potatoes, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in meat and beans; increase heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil before serving.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels Sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place trimmed Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag and shake to coat. Pour onto baking sheet and place on center rack in the oven.
- Roast for 30 to 45 minutes, shaking the pan every 5 to 7 minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown, almost black, when done. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve immediately.
Pumpkin Chip Cookies
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease two baking sheets.
- Whisk sugar, pumpkin, vegetable oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla together in a large bowl until smooth. Stir flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl. Gradually fold flour mixture into pumpkin mixture. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, approx. 10 minutes.